Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
Same Sex Marriage
Thu October 18, 2012
NY appeals court nixes Defense of Marriage Act
A federal appeals court in Manhattan has become the second in the nation to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act as unconstitutional… WAMC’s Dave Lucas has more…
The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued its ruling Thursday. The decision upholds a lower court judge who ruled that the 1996 law that defines marriage as involving a man and a woman was unconstitutional.
The three-judge panel says the law violates equal protection. A federal appeals court in Boston earlier this year also found it unconstitutional.
The issue is expected to be decided by the Supreme Court.
© 2012 Associated Press