Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New York News
Fri May 17, 2013
NY Assembly Speaker To Propose Lopez Removal
New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is proposing that state lawmakers expel Assemblyman Vito Lopez, who is accused of sexual harassment.
Silver is also asking the Assembly to consider the full investigative report, which was critical of Silver's handling of the Lopez case. He says he'll introduce legislation today, which would be acted on Monday.
Two investigative reports detailed accusations against Lopez, but didn't call for any criminal actions. The reports criticize actions by the Assembly under Silver for agreeing to a $103,000 secret settlement of claims by two women against Lopez last summer.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo says Lopez should be removed from office, but would not say whether Silver should be replaced.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.