Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New York News
Fri May 17, 2013
NY Assembly Speaker To Propose Lopez Removal
New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is proposing that state lawmakers expel Assemblyman Vito Lopez, who is accused of sexual harassment.
Silver is also asking the Assembly to consider the full investigative report, which was critical of Silver's handling of the Lopez case. He says he'll introduce legislation today, which would be acted on Monday.
Two investigative reports detailed accusations against Lopez, but didn't call for any criminal actions. The reports criticize actions by the Assembly under Silver for agreeing to a $103,000 secret settlement of claims by two women against Lopez last summer.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo says Lopez should be removed from office, but would not say whether Silver should be replaced.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.