Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Mon February 25, 2013
NY assemblyman stands by 'Afro-costume'
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A veteran New York Assemblyman says he meant no offense when he wore blackface makeup, an Afro wig, and a basketball jersey to a costume party.
Democratic Assemblyman Dov Hikind tells CBS Newsradio 880 in New York he doesn't regret the costume he wore to a party he recently held at his home in Brooklyn for the Jewish holiday of Purim.
A spokesman for Hikind says Monday that the Democrat with 30 years in the state Assembly wasn't immediately available for comment. But he says Hikind isn't trying to avoid the issue. Hikind addresses the incident on his blog.
CBS reports Hikind hired a makeup artist and wore an orange basketball jersey and sunglasses. He told CBS he never thought the outfit would be offensive.
There was no immediate comment from the Assembly's majority.
© 2013 The Associated Press.