Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Sat February 23, 2013
NY counties urging gun law repeal
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York's new gun law has prompted opposition in many of its 62 counties, with 22 county legislatures calling for partial repeal and public hearings while warning that new requirements for gun registration, law enforcement and mental health reporting will be a costly burden.
The upstate counties passing the nonbinding resolutions say the law infringes on the right to bear arms and threatens to make criminals of law-abiding residents.
Others are expected to follow.
County officials cite concerns about clerical work to register formerly legal semiautomatic weapons and renew pistol permits as well as enforcement of provisions that could require confiscating guns from owners deemed ineligible.
They say the requirement for psychologists to report patients likely to hurt someone appears to give counties responsibility to verify cases and advise the state.
© 2013 AP