Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Tue July 3, 2012
NY Court Allows Espaillat to Withdraw Petition
Lawyers for NYS Senator Adriano Espaillat have temporarily withdrawn their petition in their fight over his race to unseat U.S. Representative Charles Rangel. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
The lawyers got permission from a state Supreme Court justice Monday to withdraw their petition so they can refile later this week using broader legal arguments.
Espaillat spokesman Ibrahim Khan says the move lets them keep their legal options open while they fight for transparency. He says the campaign could now push for a new vote to be held.
Rangel campaign manager Moises Perez says both sides want clarity. He says he's seen no evidence to suggest there's been a problem with transparency.
A tally shows Rangel with a lead of 802 votes. There are still about 2,000 absentee or other ballots to be counted.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.