Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
New York News
Sat February 2, 2013
NY crackdown on synthetic pot nets drugs, arrests
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — State police say their investigation into the illegal sale of banned substances resulted in the seizure of more than 11,000 packages believed to contain synthetic marijuana.
Authorities say the seized drugs are valued at more than $150,000. Police say they also seized $16,000 in cash and 200 packages of suspected bath salts after launching their investigation last August along with local law enforcement agencies in the Rochester and Syracuse areas, Niagara Falls, Auburn and Port Jervis in Orange County.
Troopers say the illegal drugs were being sold at head shops, bodegas and smoke shops.
Four people were arrested during the investigation and charged with violating a section of the public health law which makes it illegal to possess, manufacture, distribute, sell or offer to sell synthetic marijuana.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.