Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New York News
Thu October 24, 2013
NY Education Commissioner To Hold Forum In Albany
It’s back to school and this time for parents…
New York State Education Commissioner John King will be at Myers Middle School in Albany tonight. The controversial Common Core standards forum comes a week after King cancelled the first set of sessions following a raucous appearance in Poughkeepsie on October 10th. King said the meetings had been "co-opted by special interests whose stated goal is to 'dominate' the questions and manipulate the forum...” The meetings were rescheduled after an outcry from parents and teachers.
The meeting will be an hour longer than previously planned lasting until 7 p.m. Some parents were upset the forum starts at 4 p.m. because that makes it hard for working parents to attend. Assemblywoman Patricia Fahy will act as moderator. More than 1,000 people are expected to attend.