Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- MTA Police Identify Passengers Who Died In Metro-North Train Derailment
New York News
Thu October 24, 2013
NY Education Commissioner To Hold Forum In Albany
It’s back to school and this time for parents…
New York State Education Commissioner John King will be at Myers Middle School in Albany tonight. The controversial Common Core standards forum comes a week after King cancelled the first set of sessions following a raucous appearance in Poughkeepsie on October 10th. King said the meetings had been "co-opted by special interests whose stated goal is to 'dominate' the questions and manipulate the forum...” The meetings were rescheduled after an outcry from parents and teachers.
The meeting will be an hour longer than previously planned lasting until 7 p.m. Some parents were upset the forum starts at 4 p.m. because that makes it hard for working parents to attend. Assemblywoman Patricia Fahy will act as moderator. More than 1,000 people are expected to attend.