Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New York News
Thu October 24, 2013
NY Education Commissioner To Hold Forum In Albany
It’s back to school and this time for parents…
New York State Education Commissioner John King will be at Myers Middle School in Albany tonight. The controversial Common Core standards forum comes a week after King cancelled the first set of sessions following a raucous appearance in Poughkeepsie on October 10th. King said the meetings had been "co-opted by special interests whose stated goal is to 'dominate' the questions and manipulate the forum...” The meetings were rescheduled after an outcry from parents and teachers.
The meeting will be an hour longer than previously planned lasting until 7 p.m. Some parents were upset the forum starts at 4 p.m. because that makes it hard for working parents to attend. Assemblywoman Patricia Fahy will act as moderator. More than 1,000 people are expected to attend.