Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
New York News
Thu June 14, 2012
NY Finding Way to Cheer Beer Brewers
New York Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos says he expects a deal to be announced soon to maintain a price break for beer, which has helped New York's craft brewers grow. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports…
A Belchertown, Massachusetts brewer had successfully sued to eliminate the price break for its New York competitors.
Skelos tells The Associated Press that closed-door negotiations with the Assembly and Governor Andrew Cuomo developed a tax credit that will be substituted for the 14-cent-per-gallon exemption statewide and an additional 12-cent exemption per gallon for New York City brewers. Small, but thriving New York brewers enjoyed the exemption until a court ruled it unconstitutional.
Without the credit, brewers face an annual tax increase of $10,000 to $1 million dollars. That would limit their ability to continue to expand.
Dave Lucas, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.