Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
North Country News
Mon August 27, 2012
NY GOP Senators Oppose Canada Power Line
More than a dozen New York senators in the Republican majority are opposing a plan to bring hydropower from Quebec to New York City.
The 13 Republicans and one senator from the Independent Democratic Conference say the 330-mile power line would end up sending jobs from the state. They also say it will make New York even more reliant on other countries for energy at the expense of its own power industry.
The proposal by Transmission Developers Inc. promises to reduce power plant air pollution in New York City while easing costs in the city and making the state less bound to the Indian Point nuclear power plant in Westchester County.
The opposition senators are led by Sen. George Maziarz of Niagara County, the state's richest source of hydropower.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.