Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New York News
Wed April 2, 2014
NY Gun-Rights Supporters Rally At The Capitol
Thousands of gun rights supporters have rallied at the New York state Capitol against gun control measures championed by Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Celebrity businessman Donald Trump and Republican gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino both addressed Tuesday's event at Empire State Plaza. The rally was in support of repealing a 2013 law that prohibited the sale of some popular guns like the AR-15. Here’s Rob Astorino:
"Our freedoms are being taken away little by little and the un-SAFE Act has got to go,” says Astorino.
Trump says the law demonstrates the erosion of Second Amendment rights. Astorino, the Westchester County executive, says that if elected he'd work to rescind the law. Trump said last month that he would not challenge Cuomo.
Cuomo and gun control advocates pushed the legislation following the Newtown, Conn., school massacre. New York has some of the country's most restrictive gun laws.
Cuomo says that gun control stirs feelings on both sides.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.