Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Tue December 31, 2013
NY Health Exchange Insures Thousands More
The state's new health exchange reports nearly 481,000 New Yorkers have completed applications for insurance while more than 241,000 of them have enrolled for specific coverage starting January 1.
The Health Department says enrollment for individual and family coverage since October includes 175,146 New Yorkers in the 16 commercial and nonprofit insurers in the exchange and 66,376 in government-funded Medicaid.
The state, like the federal exchange in 36 states under the Affordable Care Act, twice extended its enrollment deadline, most recently to Dec. 24 for 2014 coverage starting on Jan. 1.
Open enrollments continue through March. Applicants with incomes up to 400 percent of the federal poverty line are eligible for tax credits to help offset premium payments.
Another online exchange offers insurance for businesses with up to 50 employees.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.