Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New York News
Sat September 15, 2012
NY high school lacking players cancels football
A Southern Tier high school has cancelled the rest of its varsity football season because the team doesn't have enough players. WAMC’s Dave Lucas has more…
The superintendent of the Elmira Heights Central School District said Thursday that she didn't believe the Thomas Edison High School Spartans can safely compete.
Edison lost its only two games, the second one called in the third quarter at the coach's request because the Spartans had only 12 healthy players, including two who were cramping up.
The Star-Gazette of Elmira reports that the final blow came Wednesday when only 11 players showed for practice, five fewer than required for a game.
Edison was scheduled to host Watkins Glen on Saturday. That game, along with the other five remaining games on the Spartans' schedule, will go down as forfeits.
© 2012 The Associated Press.