Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
New York News
Thu May 10, 2012
NY Landowners Assert Right to Frack for Gas
A coalition of upstate New York landowners seeking to lease land for natural gas drilling is pressing state officials to consider the rights of property owners as they make decisions on shale gas development. WAMC’s Dave Lucas has details…
The Joint Landowners Coalition of New York is at the Capitol Wednesday to present a "Declaration of Rights."
Coalition leader Dan Fitzsimmons says landowners' rights are being trampled by those with "extreme political agendas." He referred to groups seeking a ban on high-volume hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, which injects chemically treated water into wells to release gas from shale.
The industry and environmental groups have stepped up lobbying in Albany as the Legislature considers bills including one to ban fracking.
The Department of Environmental Conservation may decide in coming months whether to allow the technology.
Dave Lucas, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.