Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Shakespeare & Company's Founding Artistic Dir. Speaks About Recent Leadership Resignations
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
WAMC New York News
Tue February 23, 2010
NY Medical Marijuana Bill: Baby Steps
By Dave Lucas
Albany, NY – A Quinnipiac Poll released earlier this month finds New Yorkers in favor of Medical Marijuana: 71% think it's a "good idea"...today in Albany medical marijuana patients and the Directors of New York Patients First held a post-vote press conference on a bill that would legalize medical marijuana for seriously ill New Yorkers. Capital District Bureau Chief Dave Lucas reports.
Today, the New York State Senate Health Committee passed S. 4041-B, the Senate's medical marijuana bill. This marks the second consecutive year that the bill has gotten out of the Senate Health Committee. The Assembly's medical marijuana bill, A. 9016, passed the Health Committee last month and is now sitting in the Assembly Codes Committee. The state-funded Center for Medical Cannabis Research at the University of California, San Diego recently issued a report confirming that pot is effective in reducing muscle spasms associated with multiple sclerosis and pain caused by certain neurological injuries or illnesses.