Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Glens Falls Prepares For Basketball Tournament Weekend
Wed November 13, 2013
NY Military: Reaper Drone Crashes In Lake Ontario
A military drone has crashed into Lake Ontario during a New York Air National Guard training mission.
State military officials say the MQ-9 Reaper had taken off from Wheeler Sack Army Airfield at Fort Drum and was operating in approved airspace over the eastern side of the lake when it was lost around 1 p.m. Tuesday. They say the aircraft was not armed and there were no injuries.
The drone is used by the Guard's Syracuse-based 174th Attack Wing to train Air Force pilots who use it on surveillance and attack missions globally.
The U.S. Coast Guard helped Fort Drum crews search for the Reaper until wintry weather forced them to quit for the night.
The cause of the crash will be investigated.
Technical and pilot errors were blamed for a Reaper crash in Nevada last year.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.