Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Wed July 10, 2013
NY National Guard: Civilian Worker Furloughs Begin
New York military officials say about 1,750 state National Guard technicians have started furloughs of one day a week without pay because of federal cost-cutting.
The Division of Naval and Military Affairs says the workers are civilian Department of Defense employees. The furloughs started Monday and will run through the end of September.
That's expected to save about $4.5 million under the cuts ordered by Congress.
The National Guard says it expects furloughs for 57,500 federal technicians and federal employees nationally.
In New York, 490 of the furloughed technicians are in the Capital Region and 440 are in central New York, including at Fort Drum. Another 340 are in New York City and Long Island, 280 in the Hudson Valley and more than 210 in western New York.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.