Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
Mon October 15, 2012
NY nuke plant opponents try to block new licenses
A technical discussion about how to predict corrosion dominated the first day of hearings on new licenses for a nuclear plant in the New York suburbs. More from WAMC’s Dave Lucas…
Talk of "wall thinning" and "slow modeling" seemed to be boring many in the crowd of about 100 people on Monday. Most had come to show support or opposition to new 20-year licenses for the Indian Point plant. About 17 million people live within 50 miles of the plant. Blocking the licenses has long been the focus of environmentalists and politicians who have campaigned against the plant 35 miles north of Manhattan.
©2012 Associated Press