Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Glens Falls Prepares For Basketball Tournament Weekend
New York News
Fri July 19, 2013
NY Official Pushes Feds To Recognize Gay Marriages
New York state Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli is wielding the power of the state's $160 billion pension fund to urge President Barack Obama to order federal agencies in every state to recognize gay marriages performed in New York.
It could be a big push in DiNapoli's effort to get major companies that do business with the fund to adopt anti-discrimination measures in providing benefits for gay couples.
The U.S. Supreme Court earlier this month struck down parts of the federal Defense of Marriage Act. The decision muddled the rights of gay couples married in New York who move to or work in states where gay marriage isn't legal.
DiNapoli will send his plea to Obama in a letter today.
He says recognizing gay marriages is just good business.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.