Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Hudson Valley News
Sun December 16, 2012
NY police: Fake lawyer scammed homeowners
Police in Peekskill say a fake lawyer scammed distressed homeowners by falsely promising them help with mortgage refinancing and foreclosures. More from WAMC’s Dave Lucas
Anthony Vecchio is charged with felony grand larceny, misdemeanor scheming to defraud and petty larceny.
Lt. Eric Johansen tells Newsday that the allegations are "reprehensible."
He says victims were left in an even worse financial position than they were before.
Johansen says the alleged crimes occurred over several years.
He says some people paid in cash. Johansen advises consumers to always pay with a check or, even better, a credit card to create a paper trail.
Vecchio's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment.
- © 2012 The Associated Press.