Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Thu December 20, 2012
NY pushing for 1st gun control law since tragedy
New York officials are scrambling to negotiate the first gun control laws since the mass shooting at Connecticut's Sandy Hook Elementary School. More from WAMC’s Dave Lucas.
A deal could be enacted into law in a special session during the holiday week or an agreement could be part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo's State of the State speech he's scheduled to deliver on Jan. 9.
The Buffalo News first reported the chance of a rare holiday week special session of the state Legislature.
A Senate spokesman says Thursday that no special session has yet been called by Cuomo.
Cuomo wants to address what he calls "significant loopholes" in New York's gun laws which are already among the most restrictive in the nation.
Cuomo suggests banning all large ammunition magazines. They're currently legal if made before 1994.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press