Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
New York News
Mon August 12, 2013
NY Restricts Invasive Bighead Carp Statewide
New York conservation officials say their ban on importing, selling or possessing bighead carp is now in effect statewide, including downstate areas that had an exception.
The Department of Environmental Conservation says the state prohibition against the invasive species now extends to all of New York City and Westchester County, where they previously could be sold at live markets as long as they were killed before being taken by a customer.
That follows a federal ban on its interstate transportation.
Bighead carp are considered a threat to native species and several Great Lakes states are taking steps to try to keep them out.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.