Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
Wed February 13, 2013
NY school names theater after Pete, Toshi Seeger
A ceremony held Tuesday night unveiled a bronze plaque outside the theater at Beacon High School in southern Dutchess County. The plaque is engraved with a banjo and identifies the venue as "The Seeger Theatre."
The Poughkeepsie Journal (http://pojonews.co/V7FBKp ) reports that the school board voted in October to name the theater after Seeger and his wife of nearly 70 years. The couple has lived in Beacon for decades and the folk singer helps out local students.
After the dedication ceremony, students performed a musical tribute to the couple, including such Seeger classics as "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" and "If I Had a Hammer."