Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
Tue April 2, 2013
NY State Senator Malcolm Smith Arrested
NEW YORK (AP) — New York state Sen. Malcolm Smith, a New York City councilman and four other politicians are facing charges in a public corruption probe.
The FBI says Smith and City Councilman Dan Halloran were arrested early Tuesday at their homes.
U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara says in a statement that Smith "tried to bribe his way" into a shot at the New York City mayoral race.
Bharara says Smith "drew up the game plan" and Halloran found party chairmen who were open to receiving bribes.
He says the six officials "built a corridor of corruption" from Queens and the Bronx to Rockland County and Albany.
Representatives for the politicians did not immediately respond to comment requests.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.