Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Fri January 10, 2014
NYC Mayor: NJ Bridge Lane Closures 'Immoral'
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has called the apparently politically inspired lane closures on the New Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge "immoral."
De Blasio told reporters Thursday that Gov. Chris Christie was right to apologize and take action but said closing lanes is, "not professional, it's not mature, it's absolutely immoral."
The Democratic mayor said New Yorkers were affected by the September traffic jams. He said there are still bigger questions about what happened and called the closures "unacceptable."
The Republican governor fired a top aide Thursday and apologized for what he called his staff's "stupid" behavior.
Emails and text messages released Wednesday suggest Christie's aide arranged the jams to punish the mayor of Fort Lee for not endorsing the governor.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.