Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Tue May 1, 2012
NYC Officials Sue Police over Response to Protests
Four New York City lawmakers are suing the city over its treatment of the Occupy Wall Street protests. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports…
The civil rights suit was filed Monday in a Manhattan federal court. It says police conduct is so problematic that the force needs an outside monitor.
The city Law Department had no immediate comment Monday. Mayor Michael Bloomberg has defended police handling of the protests.
Occupy demonstrators have gone to court before over particular episodes. The new lawsuit is a compendium of complaints.
It says the city and police violated demonstrators' free speech and other rights, used excessive force and interfered with journalists' and council members' efforts to observe.
City Council members Letitia James, Melissa Mark-Viverito, Ydanis Rodriguez and Jumaane Williams are among the plaintiffs.
Dave Lucas, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.