Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Shakespeare & Company's Founding Artistic Dir. Speaks About Recent Leadership Resignations
New York News
Fri March 30, 2012
NY's Schumer to Run 2013 Presidential Inaugural
Congress has chosen U.S. Senator Charles Schumer of New York to be chairman of the presidential inauguration next year, regardless of which candidate wins. WAMC's Dave Lucas has details…
The Democrat was chosen by congressional leaders for what is seen as a coveted and historic post in Washington.
Schumer will organize the Jan. 21 event at the U.S. Capitol.
He says the ceremony is designed to bring Americans together after a presidential election and show off some of America's best products.
This year the legal date of inauguration falls on a Sunday, so it's being moved to the following Monday. That date is also Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the second time the inauguration will fall on that holiday. The first time was President Bill Clinton's second inauguration, in 1997.
Dave Lucas, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.