Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Fri September 28, 2012
Obama Signs Investor Visa Bill Seen Key in Vermont
Senator Patrick Leahy is hailing legislation signed into law by President Barack Obama that is expected to be key to a series of big economic investments in northern Vermont.
Leahy has been a key backer of the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Regional Center program, and Obama on Friday signed a three-year extension of the program.
Leahy and other officials say it will enable foreign investors to bring some $500 million in capital to help expansions at the Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ski areas, new manufacturing and commercial development in downtown Newport and improvements to the state airport in Coventry.
Leahy says the program doesn't cost taxpayers anything, but promotes economic development by making it much easier for foreign investors to bring their money to Vermont.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.