Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Tue April 9, 2013
Obama warns GOP against blocking gun bill
President Barack Obama is warning Republican lawmakers against using delay tactics to sink gun control legislation.
Obama spoke last night about his gun proposals in Connecticut, where 20 children and 6 adults were killed in a horrific school shooting last year. The shooting spurred fresh debate in Washington over gun control measures.
The president is singling out GOP lawmakers who want to use procedural maneuvers to block legislation. Obama says the move would be akin to saying the public's opinion doesn't matter.
He's also challenging the notion that gun legislation would be a political victory for him. He says the debate "isn't about me" and should instead focus on families that have been torn apart by violence.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.