Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Thu October 3, 2013
Official: Service Academy Games Will Go On
A senior defense official says U.S. military academy football teams will be on the field this weekend, despite the ongoing government shutdown.
The official said Wednesday the decision affects this weekend's games only, and future games will be evaluated as events unfold in the coming days.
The teams will be allowed to play because the games are paid for with non-appropriated funds, and have been long planned. Army is scheduled to travel to Boston College this weekend, and Air Force will play at Navy in Annapolis, Md.
The official was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly so spoke on condition of anonymity.
Non-appropriated funds generally come from outside sources and are not approved through Congress.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.