Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Thu February 21, 2013
Officials Fight Expected Cuts At Westover Air Reserve Base
A campaign continues to save a western Massachusetts military base from expected Pentagon budget cuts.
Chicopee Mayor Michael Bissonnette is fighting a plan to transfer half of the current fleet of C-5 cargo planes from the Westover Air Force Reserve Base
Bissonnette said he recently met with US Senator Elizabeth Warren to impress on her the importance of the base. Congressman Richard Neal also opposes downsizing Westover. The base employs 5500 hundred people and puts $240 million in payroll into the local economy.