Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New York News
Wed May 15, 2013
Owners Must File Form Or NY Gun Permit Info Public
Gun owners in New York who don't want their registration information available to the public are facing a deadline to file an exemption form with local licensing authorities.
Starting today, the records of anyone who has asked to be exempt from the state Freedom of Information Law will be kept secret.
But the information will be available for gun owners who haven't acted.
The secrecy provision was included in January legislation that toughened New York gun laws to require registration of military-style weapons and limit the number of bullets allowed to be loaded into a clip or magazine.
Lawmakers were reacting to controversy surrounding the decision by The Journal News newspaper in White Plains to publish a map showing information about gun owners in Westchester and Rockland counties following the Newtown, Conn., school massacre.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.