Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New York News
Wed May 15, 2013
Owners Must File Form Or NY Gun Permit Info Public
Gun owners in New York who don't want their registration information available to the public are facing a deadline to file an exemption form with local licensing authorities.
Starting today, the records of anyone who has asked to be exempt from the state Freedom of Information Law will be kept secret.
But the information will be available for gun owners who haven't acted.
The secrecy provision was included in January legislation that toughened New York gun laws to require registration of military-style weapons and limit the number of bullets allowed to be loaded into a clip or magazine.
Lawmakers were reacting to controversy surrounding the decision by The Journal News newspaper in White Plains to publish a map showing information about gun owners in Westchester and Rockland counties following the Newtown, Conn., school massacre.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.