Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Listener Essay - Reflections On A Life Well Lived
New England News
Wed August 13, 2014
Panel Approves Revised Budget Cuts
The Vermont Legislature's Joint Fiscal Committee has voted for revised budget cuts with two members voting against the proposal.
Governor Peter Shumlin asked in late July for cuts averaging 4 percent from most of the state agencies. The administration proposed specific cuts on Monday, many of them targeting human service programs.
The committee on Wednesday rejected the administration's cuts. Later, Shumlin's administration said it concurred with the Joint Fiscal Committee's recommendations for cuts.
Advocates and beneficiaries of those programs asked at a public hearing Tuesday that the committee takes more time in its deliberations.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.