Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Thu October 11, 2012
Penn National Proposes Springfield Casino
A second major casino company has unveiled plans for a project in downtown Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
Penn National Gaming is proposing an $807 million dollar resort casino off Interstate 91 in Springfield. Spokesman Eric Schippers said the proposal is for a Hollywood branded casino, up to a 500 guest room hotel, and a parking structure for 4000 cars. The plan also calls for a housing and retail development along the Connecticut River, relocating the Republican newspaper’s printing plant, and renovating the historic Paramount Theater.
Penn will be competing with MGM Resorts, which has a project proposed in another part of Downtown Springfield. Ameristar Casinos has purchased a former industrial site on the city’s east side.