Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- The Truth About The Left Brain / Right Brain Relationship
New England News
Thu October 11, 2012
Penn National Proposes Springfield Casino
A second major casino company has unveiled plans for a project in downtown Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
Penn National Gaming is proposing an $807 million dollar resort casino off Interstate 91 in Springfield. Spokesman Eric Schippers said the proposal is for a Hollywood branded casino, up to a 500 guest room hotel, and a parking structure for 4000 cars. The plan also calls for a housing and retail development along the Connecticut River, relocating the Republican newspaper’s printing plant, and renovating the historic Paramount Theater.
Penn will be competing with MGM Resorts, which has a project proposed in another part of Downtown Springfield. Ameristar Casinos has purchased a former industrial site on the city’s east side.