Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New England News
Wed May 9, 2012
Plans for MA Casino near Patriots' Home Halted
Plans to bring a $1 billion resort-style casino proposed by Las Vegas casino developer Steve Wynn to the New England Patriots' hometown have been suspended. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
Tuesday's announcement from The Kraft Group and Wynn Resorts came after Foxborough voters elected two selectmen who opposed negotiations with Wynn.
He had planned to build the resort on land leased from Patriots owner Robert Kraft.
Under a Massachusetts law legalizing casino gambling, casino developers must negotiate an agreement with the city or town where they hope to build.
The suspension could bolster a casino proposal for Suffolk Downs in Boston, because only one casino license is available in eastern Massachusetts.
The horse racing track says it will work with nearby residents to ensure their proposal provides jobs, road improvements and tourism growth.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.