Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
North Country News
Mon March 4, 2013
Police Search Vermont Lake for Man Who Fell Through Ice
Vermont State Police have resumed their search for a man believed to have fallen through the ice on a lake while using a tractor to move an ice shanty.
Police say divers have searched Lake Memphremagog in Newport Center for 53-year-old James LeBlanc of Newport but are experiencing difficult conditions due to cold temperatures and murkiness at the lake bottom.
Police received a report about 7:30 Saturday evening of an ice shanty and tractor going through the ice. Police later determined it was likely that a man went into the lake, as well, and did not resurface.
The State Police Scuba Team, the Newport Center Fire Department and the U.S. Border Patrol have searched for LeBlanc. Police say the tractor is submerged in about 25 feet of water.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.