Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
North Country News
Mon March 4, 2013
Police Search Vermont Lake for Man Who Fell Through Ice
Vermont State Police have resumed their search for a man believed to have fallen through the ice on a lake while using a tractor to move an ice shanty.
Police say divers have searched Lake Memphremagog in Newport Center for 53-year-old James LeBlanc of Newport but are experiencing difficult conditions due to cold temperatures and murkiness at the lake bottom.
Police received a report about 7:30 Saturday evening of an ice shanty and tractor going through the ice. Police later determined it was likely that a man went into the lake, as well, and did not resurface.
The State Police Scuba Team, the Newport Center Fire Department and the U.S. Border Patrol have searched for LeBlanc. Police say the tractor is submerged in about 25 feet of water.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.