Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Thu August 30, 2012
Problems Found At Mass. Police Drug Evidence Lab
Massachusetts State Police say a chemist at a drug evidence lab in Boston failed to follow proper procedures raising the possibility people were wrongly convicted.. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick ordered state police to shut down the lab Thursday amid an on-going investigation into the actions of a chemist who had worked at the lab for over 8 years. State Police believe the chemist, a woman whose name has not been made public, deliberately mishandled the testing of drug evidence. The chemist’s motive is unknown. Investigators are trying to determine the number of drug samples and cases affected. A state police spokesman said the lab primarily handled evidence from local police in Norfolk and Suffolk counties, including the city of Boston.