Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Wed November 28, 2012
Proponents of Fracking Launch New Ads
Proponents of shale gas drilling have launched a new ad campaign calling on state officials to bring a four-year environmental review to a close and allow gas development to begin in New York.
The radio and print ads were released Tuesday, in advance of a Nov. 29 deadline for finalizing regulations for gas drilling and high-volume hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has said it's unlikely the deadline will be met because a health study is yet to be finished.
Shale gas drilling hasn't been allowed in New York since regulators began an environmental study in 2008.
The ads were launched by a group of landowner, farming, business, gas industry and construction organizations. It contrasts economic hardships in upstate New York with financial benefits drilling has brought to Pennsylvania.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press