Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Wed May 29, 2013
Proposed Springfield Budget Includes Casino Payments
The mayor of Springfield Massachusetts has proposed what he characterizes as a “ hold the line” budget for next year.
The $571.8 million dollar budget proposed by Mayor Domenic Sarno preserves city jobs while raising spending by less than 2 percent.
Two of the city’s ten branch libraries would close, but library hours and staffing would increase elsewhere throughout the system. The budget is balanced thanks to $5 million dollars from MGM Resorts that was part of a casino development deal. If the casino project falls through, Sarno warns the city faces more than 100 layoffs and massive cuts in services…