Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New England News
Wed May 29, 2013
Proposed Springfield Budget Includes Casino Payments
The mayor of Springfield Massachusetts has proposed what he characterizes as a “ hold the line” budget for next year.
The $571.8 million dollar budget proposed by Mayor Domenic Sarno preserves city jobs while raising spending by less than 2 percent.
Two of the city’s ten branch libraries would close, but library hours and staffing would increase elsewhere throughout the system. The budget is balanced thanks to $5 million dollars from MGM Resorts that was part of a casino development deal. If the casino project falls through, Sarno warns the city faces more than 100 layoffs and massive cuts in services…