Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New England News
Wed May 29, 2013
Proposed Springfield Budget Includes Casino Payments
The mayor of Springfield Massachusetts has proposed what he characterizes as a “ hold the line” budget for next year.
The $571.8 million dollar budget proposed by Mayor Domenic Sarno preserves city jobs while raising spending by less than 2 percent.
Two of the city’s ten branch libraries would close, but library hours and staffing would increase elsewhere throughout the system. The budget is balanced thanks to $5 million dollars from MGM Resorts that was part of a casino development deal. If the casino project falls through, Sarno warns the city faces more than 100 layoffs and massive cuts in services…