Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Wed May 29, 2013
Proposed Springfield Budget Includes Casino Payments
The mayor of Springfield Massachusetts has proposed what he characterizes as a “ hold the line” budget for next year.
The $571.8 million dollar budget proposed by Mayor Domenic Sarno preserves city jobs while raising spending by less than 2 percent.
Two of the city’s ten branch libraries would close, but library hours and staffing would increase elsewhere throughout the system. The budget is balanced thanks to $5 million dollars from MGM Resorts that was part of a casino development deal. If the casino project falls through, Sarno warns the city faces more than 100 layoffs and massive cuts in services…