Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Hudson Valley News
Mon February 18, 2013
Protestors of Compressor Station Hold a Rally
The construction of a natural gas compressor station on a residential road in the Orange County Town of Minisink began in the fall; and activists and residents held a rally over the weekend in protest. They say their residential and agricultural town is not the place for the compressor station.
One of the speakers at the rally against Millennium Pipeline’s compressor station in the hamlet of Westtown was Angela Monti Fox. She is the founder of The Mothers Group, a global coalition of mothers who support sustainable energy.
She’s also the mother of documentary filmmaker Josh Fox, of “Gasland” fame, who was in Albany last week to protest the natural gas drilling process known as fracking, and New York State’s potential lifting of a fracking ban. Meanwhile, the U.S. Court of Appeals is expected this week to decide whether to grant a stay of construction, pending a full hearing of the residents’ case currently before the court, which challenges the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s approval of the compressor station project. Those working at the construction site during Saturday’s rally could not be accessed for comment.
New York News