Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
North Country News
Thu May 24, 2012
Quebec Premier Postpones Vermont Visit
Quebec Premier Jean Charest is postponing his visit to Vermont where he had planned to meet with Governor Peter Shumlin and other business and government leaders. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
Charest planned to sign a trade and environmental protection agreement with Shumlin on Thursday and then attend events with the state's business community and at the University of Vermont.
Shumlin's office says Charest will remain in Quebec City so he can attend debates in the national assembly.
Occupy Burlington and other groups had planned to protest Charest's visit in solidarity with Quebec students demonstrating against university tuition increases.
James Haslam of the Vermont Workers Center called the cancelation of Charest's visit a victory for the people.
A Charest spokesman says the premier was not aware of the planned protest in Vermont.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.