Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Thu May 2, 2013
Quick City Council Vote Seen On Springfield Casino Deal
City councilors in Springfield Massachusetts appeared ready to act quickly on a proposed casino development deal with MGM Resorts.
Springfield City Council president James Ferrera expects the council will vote on the host community agreement within 2 weeks, in time to get a voter referendum held in mid-July, which is the target of the casino developer. Michael Kogut who heads Springfield Citizens Against Casino Gaming is trying to convince councilors to postpone the referendum until the fall.
The host community agreement must be approved by voters before MGM can apply to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission for the lone casino license authorized in western Massachusetts. Other casino projects are proposed in Palmer and West Springfield.