Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
New England News
Fri June 8, 2012
Rallies Planned over Birth Control Mandate
Protests are planned in Connecticut and around the country over the Obama administration mandate that employers provide workers birth control coverage.
The mandate requires employers to provide health insurance that includes birth control for workers. The plan sparked protests from faith leaders because it included most religious nonprofits such as hospitals and colleges.
Religious and civil rights organizations are holding protests today in New Haven and other cities called "stand up for religious freedom."
President Barack Obama has offered a compromise in which insurers would bear the cost of the birth control instead of religious employers. But Roman Catholic bishops have said the prospective new rules don't do enough to protect religious liberty.
The administration is reviewing public comments before making any final decision.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.