Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Mon August 13, 2012
Rally Held to Support Social Security Benefits
A group of individuals were in front of the Social Security office in Plattsburgh Monday to highlight the importance of the federal program.
The rally to celebrate the 77th anniversary of Social Security was also designed to focus attention on challenges facing the program as potential cuts are considered in Washington. Clinton County Legislator Tom Wood, the Area Representative for the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare, organized the local rally.
Those at the rally expressed concerns about Vice Presidential Candidate Paul Ryan’s proposed budget, which would cut social programs including Medicare and Social Security benefits.