Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- The Truth About The Left Brain / Right Brain Relationship
Fri April 13, 2012
Rally to Support Vermont and Press for Shutdown of Vermont Yankee Planned Saturday
The “Rally to Support Vermont and Defend Democracy” is billed as a way to support the desire of people and elected officials to hold what organizers call a “rogue” corporation accountable and press for the closure of the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant. While there have been numerous rallies of late over Vermont Yankee, Dan DeWalt one of the organizers, says this one is different because of who will be speaking.
Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility is among the sponsors of the rally. Public Policy Manager Dan Barlow says the rally is less focused on shutting down the plant or putting pressuure on legislators, than on the people who have been involved in and working on the Vermont Yankee issue.
Governor Peter Shumlin, Vermont Attorney General Bill Sorrell and U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders are scheduled as featured speakers on Saturday. Attorney General Sorrell said he is attending because the emphasis is Vermont and Democracy.
Attorney General Sorrell admits that with the state and the nuclear plant facing off in the courts, he must be cautious with his planned comments.
The rally is scheduled to begin at Noon on the Brattleboro Common.