Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Thu November 21, 2013
Rape Charges Dropped Against NY Man After Error
A 23-year-old man accused of raping two teen-aged girls in the Albany, New York area will have those charges dropped after prosecutors failed to file key paperwork in his case.
The felony charges will be dropped against John Halacy of Rensselaer because the Rensselaer County District Attorney's Office failed to file a waiver of Halacy's speedy trial rights.
Halacy is expected to plead guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment charges.
The prosecutor's office said they take full responsibility for the mistake and apologize to the families. Prosecutors said they thought the paperwork had been filed.
Halacy was arrested in February and was charged with five counts of second-degree rape, among other charges.
He was released from county jail this week.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.