Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Wed June 26, 2013
Recovery Efforts For Drowning Victim At Pittsfield Dam Will Continue Wednesday
Emergency crews in the Berkshires will continue work today to recover an unidentified man from the Housatonic River near a Pittsfield dam.
The recovery efforts were postponed after dark Tuesday evening after the body of a man was located lodged in the spillway at the Tel-Electric dam by Mill Street in Pittsfield. The search for the man began around noontime Tuesday after he was reportedly pulled underwater by the current while swimming near the dam.
After crews unsuccessfully spent 10 hours trying to retrieve the body, Pittsfield Fire Chief Bob Czerwinski said Tuesday evening that the search will resume this morning after a meeting with safety officials
"We've got to sit down and look at it on paper and see what other ideas we can come up with," said Czerwinski.
The identity of the man is unknown but was described to be in his late teens or early 20s