Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline Route Moves North
North Country News
Wed March 26, 2014
Remains Are Missing St. Lawerence County Couple
State police say bodies dug up behind a mobile home in northern New York have been identified as a missing couple in their 80s.
Police say the bodies of Alvin and Betty Babcock were found buried in concrete-lined boxes on their property in the St. Lawrence County town of Stockholm, about 10 miles south of the Canadian border.
Investigators got a search warrant for the property after beginning a welfare fraud investigation. Relatives say they lost contact with the couple more than a year ago.
Searchers found the first body Friday and the second on Monday. They were sent to Albany Medical Center for autopsies. The cause of death is still under investigation.
An acquaintance of the couple was undergoing a mental health evaluation, but no one has been charged.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.