Most Active Stories
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
North Country News
Wed March 26, 2014
Remains Are Missing St. Lawerence County Couple
State police say bodies dug up behind a mobile home in northern New York have been identified as a missing couple in their 80s.
Police say the bodies of Alvin and Betty Babcock were found buried in concrete-lined boxes on their property in the St. Lawrence County town of Stockholm, about 10 miles south of the Canadian border.
Investigators got a search warrant for the property after beginning a welfare fraud investigation. Relatives say they lost contact with the couple more than a year ago.
Searchers found the first body Friday and the second on Monday. They were sent to Albany Medical Center for autopsies. The cause of death is still under investigation.
An acquaintance of the couple was undergoing a mental health evaluation, but no one has been charged.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.