Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
WAMC New England News
Wed February 22, 2006
Remembering a Professor Who Won Early Gay Rights Case
By Dan Bobkoff
NORTHAMPTON, MA – Joel Dorius was a professor at Smith College until 1960 when he, along with two other professors, was forced out following an arrest for possession of gay pornography. He was later exonerated and the case is considered an early civil rights victory for homosexuals. Dorius died last week, and WAMC's Pioneer Valley Bureau Chief Dan Bobkoff looks back at the incident and the man.