Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Thu May 2, 2013
Report: NY In Hunt For Big Computer Plant Upstate
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo says he may soon make a major economic announcement for upstate New York as published reports say a computer plant codenamed "Project Azalea" is in negotiations to create 1,000 jobs.
Cuomo refused to say anything about the project he hinted at during a news conference Wednesday. He called it a potential "big economic development piece" for the long struggling region.
In February, The Oregonian newspaper quoted that state's economic development director as saying Oregon was competing with upstate New York and other states for Project Azalea.
And The Business Review of Albany has written Project Azalea is looking at upstate and could be bigger than the Global Foundries computer chip plant in Saratoga County.
A Cuomo aide and a state economic development spokesman declined further comment.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.