Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline Route Moves North
New York News
Wed March 12, 2014
Republican Announces Campaign Against Congressman Paul Tonko
A Republican seeking to replace Capital District Democratic Congressman Paul Tonko has officially announced the launch of his campaign.
At a campaign kickoff event held Tuesday afternoon, Republican Jim Fischer of Burnt Hills announced he has received the endorsement of all the Republican committees within the 20th district.
Fischer told WAMC recently he believes the 20th district, which includes Albany, Schenectady, and portions of Saratoga, Rensselaer, and Montgomery County, is home to an electorate that is more conservative than its current representative.
"Congressman Tonko represents the far-left wing of the Democratic Party," said Fischer. "In 2011 he was ranked with a number of other members of Congress as the most liberal Congressman. That I don't think is indicative or reflective of the 20th District."
Tonko, a longtime state Assemblyman, is serving his third term in the U.S House after coasting to reelection in 2012.
New York News